Submitted by Benjamin Pollack
May 15, 2019 / 10:22 AM
When you’re unsure of the best way to promote your business, it can be tempting to do as much marketing as possible and hope for the best. You may pursue a media mix that includes platforms like social media, banner ads, print, radio, TV, and more.
Although this “spray and pray” marketing strategy could lead to some positive results, it provides little insight into what’s really making a difference. This can make it difficult to determine your return on investment and what techniques are actually driving business, leading to ad waste.
To truly achieve positive and measurable results, it’s best to take a methodical and data-driven approach to advertising.
Here are five tips to help you elevate your marketing and avoid spray-and-pray:
- Take numbers with a grain of salt. Marketing results may not be as straightforward as they seem. Ad fraud – which can lead to falsely inflated click and view counts – is a growing concern among advertisers. Causation is another area of uncertainty; did your social media outreach really boost sales, or was that simply a coincidence? Understand your numbers and challenge your media partners to deliver accurate information.
- Don’t be afraid to trip. In marketing, not everything is going to work for your business, and that’s OK. You should experiment with different strategies to figure out what works for your business. Just like trying a new food for the first time, you can try new marketing tactics on a small scale, see how they work, and then if you like them, go back for more.
- Pick the right outreach for your business. After you’ve experimented a little, you can determine which media platforms led to the best results. This can help you choose which media platforms may be right for your business and audience.
- Diversify. Once you have an understanding of what techniques work for you, it’s important to invest in a variety of outreach efforts. This method of multi-touch attribution can help boost your reach and exposure frequency, increasing the impact of your outreach among your target audience.
- Choose platforms strategically. Different types of marketing are often best suited for different goals. Once you know what works, you can understand how it works. Search marketing can be particularly useful in driving awareness, emails can help drive consideration, and product demonstrations are usually best for driving intent. Some platforms like TV can help do all three. Adjust your media investment levels based not only on what works, but also on your goals and business focuses.
Remember, every campaign may have a different purpose. Working with media experts can help you determine the best ways to get your message across, helping ensure you reach the right audiences at the right times, wherever they consume content.
If you’re interested in speaking with a media expert to determine your small business’ best strategy, contact us for a free consultation.